NC Innovations Waiver
The NC Innovations Waiver is a Federally approved 1915 C Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services Waiver (HCBS Waiver) designed to meet the needs of Individuals with Intellectual or Development Disabilities (I/DD) who prefer to get long-term care services and supports in their home or community, rather than in an institutional setting.
The Medicaid Innovations Waiver supports Individuals with I/DD to live the life they choose. Waiver services are administered by a local management entity/managed care organization (LME and MCO) which facilitate services and oversee a network of community-based service providers. Individuals who receive waiver funding work with their team to develop a Person Centered Plan of Care and request the services and supports they need. NC Innovations provides many different services that you can use based on your Individual Support Plan (ISP). Covenant offers a variety of services to the families we support.
● Purchase equipment to help you with daily life tasks ● Allows for smart home technology
Community Living & Support
● Become more independent ● Learn how to connect with others in your community ● Learn skills such as shopping and banking ● Manage eating, bathing, dressing, personal care, hygiene and other daily activities ● Extra support for health and safety reasons.
● Learn about your community ● Build connections ● Learn about self-direction and self-determination
● Find volunteer work ● Take integrated classes ● Pay for membership to these activities
● Pay for security deposits ● Pay for moving fees ● Buy furniture and other things you need for your new home ● Pay to set up your water, electric and/or heating ● Pay for services that make your new home safe and healthy
● Get help day or night ● Stay out of a facility or hospital ● Make a plan to help you avoid a crisis
Provides family caregivers relief from caregiver responsibilities
financial support services
File claims and process payroll for self-direction of services.
● Make changes to your home that keep you healthy and safe ● Add things that make it easier to get around in your home, such as ramps and stairlifts.
individual goods & services
● Help people who self-direct their services pay for items or supplies need less Medicaid services ● Become more included in the community ● Increase your safety at home
Natural supports education
● Help family and friends learn new or different ways to help you ● Help family and friends learn how to use new equipment or supplies ● Provides family and friends access to conferences and classes
● Support in daily life activities in an out of home placement ● Learn how to stay healthy and safe in the community ● Learn new skills and do more things for yourself ● Get to community activities and day programs
specialized consultation services
● Allows for physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy evaluations for equipment when State Plan service limits have been exhausted ● Helps family caregivers learn how to use specialized equipment such as assistive technology, home modifications and van modifications.
● Support in living in a home that you own or rent ● Learn new skills and do more things for yourself ● Manage eating, bathing, dressing, personal care, hygiene and other daily activities
● Find a paying job in an integrated setting ● Learn new job skills ● Start your own business Supported employment can be provided long-term for ongoing job support.
● Pay for changes to a vehicle that make it easier and safer for you to get around in the community ● Vehicle Modifications can only be used on a vehicle that you already have and the vehicle must be insured ● There is a $20,000 cost limit over 5 years (duration of waiver).